Mac backlight not coming on?
Why is my Mac backlight not coming on? – Updated 2023.
There are two technical variations as to why a Mac has no backlight.
The first is a Mac keyboard backlight not working the second is a Mac screen backlight not coming on.
The implementation of backlighting in keyboards varies, but Apple notebooks tend to have an LED for each key, which means the brightness is consistent across the keyboard.
Different applications, software updates, or hardware issues could be the reason why the backlight is not coming on.
What are the common signs of the backlight not working?
Keyboard backlight not working:
– Your Mac has a light sensor that can be affected by direct sunlight shining on the light sensor and it can cause your controls to lock.
– If the keyboard light does not work or cannot be adjusted it can be a hardware issue.
Mac screen backlight not working
What should you do if your Mac backlight is not working?
1. Reset the SMC (System Management Controller) as it controls many hardware functions.
2. Increase the brightness level in case you have set it too low.
3. An outdated or corrupt driver could be causing the problem as the keyboard backlight is sensor-activated.
What to do if your Mac’s backlight is still not working.
As you can see there are a lot of factors that can cause the backlight not to work. If you have tried everything you should consider bringing the Mac in for a diagnostic. If you need to book your Mac in for an Apple diagnostic click here.